In 1988 Jim and his wife lived with a family in Nicaragua. Jim learned about gratitude by watching how a young girl appreciated a single piece of gum or a sheet of paper.
- Why do you think the storyteller felt like he had “never been in a room with more hope” in his life?
- Does hope play a role in your life? If yes, in what way? Have you ever felt hopeless? What or who can bring you out of hopeless feelings?
- Why are the little girl and her family so poor? What is going on in the country of Nicaragua at the time of this story?
- What is Iran-Contra?
- Art, Truth and Politics by Harold Pinter. A Nobel Prize in Literature lecture in which he explains the Sandinista revolution.
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Family and Childhood
- Latino American/Latinos
- Living and Traveling Abroad