As a 4th grader, Sheila was given a new nickname – the “N” word – and that nickname led to an unlikely friendship, and down the road, led to forgiveness and reconciliation.
- Have you ever been called a derogatory name? How did it make you feel? What did you do when called that name?
- Have you ever called someone a derogatory name? How did that make you feel then? How do you feel about what you said after hearing this story?
- Finish this statement: Forgiveness is… Explain your answer.
- How can you make someone new to your school, church, club or organization feel welcome and at ease?
- Warriors Don’t Cry by Melba Beals Patill – a book about another very different integration of a school. (Perfect for Middle School Students.)
- The Story of Ruby Bridges by Ruby Bridges – a children’s book about the integration of an Elementary School
- List of books about name calling for all ages: http://www.welcomingschools.org/pages/books-on-name-calling-bullying/
- “No Name Calling Week” January 16 to 20, 2017 resources at: http://www.glsen.org/nonamecallingweek
- African American/Blacks
- Education and Life Lessons
- Family & Childhood
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking