In 1804, Lewis & Clark crossed The Great Plains and dangerous Rocky Mountains to finally see the Pacific Ocean for the first time! One person who was part of this Corps of Discovery was an African American man named York. While York was not always credited with his part in the Western exploration, his contributions were a large part of Lewis and Clark’s success.
- How did York’s experience of the Expedition vary from that of the other men?
- How was York instrumental to the success of the Expedition?
- What was Sacagawea’s impact on the success of the trip?
- African American/Black History
- First Nations/Native Americans
- Stereotypes and Discrimination