From when we humans first became aware, we began to paint our skin with colors and symbols of who we are. Were we telling the world “look at my skin to see who I am”, or saying that since appearances can change, then true identity must lie deeper within us?
- Why do you think that people have painted themselves since the beginning of human culture?
- Do people have different reasons for why they paint or mask themselves in different cultures?
- Is wearing makeup the same as painting a face? How do people paint themselves today?
- Transformations! The Story Behind the Painted Faces by Christopher Agostino
- How Art Made the World: A Journey to the Origins of Human Creativity by Nigel Spivey
- Tribes by Art Wolfe
- Body Decorations: A World Survey of Body Art by Karl Gröning