Linda’s father had a little black book. He said it was written just for her and he said it was full of all the values she needed for a successful life. Linda loved it. She believed in it. But it took time to understand just what a gift it was.
- Do your parents or caregivers have ‘words of wisdom’ they repeat all the time? What are they? What do they mean?
- Do you have favorite sayings? What makes them important?
- Linda’s father told her he had plans and dreams for her. What are your plans? Your dreams?
- Why is it important for adults to encourage young people?
- Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama
- The Arms That Are Needed: Daughters Reflect on Fatherly Love by Landra Glover
- If: A Father’s Advice to His Son by Rudyard Kipling
- African American/Black History
- Education and Life Lessons
- Family and Childhood