When Laura fell in love with Kevin, she was certain her liberal family would love him, too. After all, he was smart, handsome, educated and kind; that his skin was a different color didn’t matter, right? Imagine her surprise when Laura and her father needed to negotiate his discomfort with her sweetheart’s differences.
- What do you think Laura’s Dad felt during their conversation? What do you think Laura’s Mom thought?
- Do you think things are any easier for bi-racial couples today?
- What do you think Laura should have done when her parents were upset about the German man she was dating? Do you think her dad had a point?
- How would you feel if your child married someone of a different race or religion?
- Do you think Laura should have told Kevin about the conversation?
- Mixed Blessing: A Children’s Book About a Multi-Racial Family by Marsha Cosman and Kyra Kendall
- Just Don’t Marry One: Interracial Dating, Marriage, and Parenting by George A. Yancey and Sherelyn Whittum Yancey
- African American/Black History
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Family and Childhood
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking