A white woman moves into a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood with, initially, very little curiosity about the community that resides there. Her assumptions about what it means to belong are challenged.
- What does the storyteller’s phrase “understanding begins in misunderstanding” mean?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you were the only person who looked like you? What did you do and what happened?
- What supports were needed in Julie’s neighborhood so that the long-standing residents didn’t feel misplaced or overrun and the new residents understood how they were perceived? What might everyone do to build bridges and create community?
- Crossing Cultures
- European American/Whites
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking