by Storyteller Donna Washington
The night Obama was elected to the presidency, Donna was a lone black woman in a very conservative part of the country. She discovered that it is possible be in a foreign land in her own country. She also found out that the world is full of people with good hearts.
- Have you ever been scared in a new place?
- Have you ever reached out to someone who was uncomfortable?
- What does it mean to be brave? Does it have anything to do with being scared?
- Have you ever felt like a group of people disliked you for no good reason? Who and why?
- Books that deal with facing your fears: http://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/books-about-courage.html
- Article about things adults can do to encourage inclusivity and cultural understanding in their homes with their children. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-howerton/talking-to-kids-race-racism-books_b_2618305.html
- Blind Spot is a great book about looking at our hidden biases, prejudices, and faulty conclusions…and how to address them.
- African American/Black History
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking