By Storyteller Rev. Robert Jones
Rev. Jones describes how American Roots Music tells a story. He plays a harmonica piece by Sonny Terry called Lost John. Lost John tells the story of a man who escapes a chain gang trying to get home to see his family. In the song, you hear the hounds chasing and the train a’ coming.
- What does Rev. Jones mean when he said that American Root Music (gospel, blues, country, western, Cajun, zydeco, folk, tejano, Native American) needs to be simple so that people can change it?
- What kinds of changes to this song would other musicians make?
- American Root Music by Robert Santelli
- Romancing the Folk: Public Memory and American Roots Music by Benjamin Filene
- African American/Black History