By Storyteller Susan O’Halloran
As a five-year-old Sue met a boy her age who was different from her. Sue’s mother subtly lets Sue know that she is not to be friends with the boy.
- When was the first time you met someone of another “race”? What effect did it have on you?
- What unspoken lessons around race have been transmitted to you?
- What does Sue mean when she says that it was “even more damaging” that she received a message from her mother that they and the place where they lived was “better”?
- How was Sue damaged by being taught that she, her family and her community were superior?
- Critical White Studies by Richard Delgado and Jean Stefanci
- Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People by Mahzarin R. Banaji and Anthony Greenwald
- African American/Black History
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Family and Childhood