Noa grew up in Jerusalem, where America was the most exotic place other than Mars. In the 5th grade, Noa’s family left their home in Israel. She arrived in America speaking very little English. But miracles do happen…
- Have you ever been a foreigner in a country where you didn’t speak the language? What were some of the strange or incomprehensible things you encountered? What was funny, scary or most difficult?
- Do you know anyone for whom English is a second language? Can you imagine what it would feel like to not understand everyone around you? What are some things that you can do to help them feel more connected and welcomed?
- Besides words, humans use many non-verbal ways to create and convey meaning. Discuss the ways we communicate meaning other than spoken words? What impact does our tone of voice, facial expressions and attitude have on our words?
- Different cultures have different communication norms. What do you think are some of the norms that we have in America? Are there certain phrases or gestures that every culture uses?
- Beyond Words: Lessons from a Non-English Speaker
- How to Create a Welcoming Classroom Environment
- Documentary film – I learn America http://ilearnamerica.com/ (Trailer: https://vimeo.com/58731601)
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- Jewish Americans/Jews
- Living and Traveling Abroad
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking