By Storyteller LOREN NIEMI
Loren travels to North Ireland and is continually asked, “Are you Catholic or Protestant?” By the way that question is asked and answered, layers of cultural assumptions are revealed.
- What is the fundamental assumption contained in asking, “Are you Catholic or Protestant?”
- What is the function of the joke in the context of the story and in relation to the larger issue of identity?
- How and why do people need to shed the assumptions of culture to “wage peace” or reconcile after loss?
- Lost Lives by David McKittrick, Seamus Kelters, Brian Feeley and Chris Thornton
- Religion, Identity and Politics in Northern Ireland: Boundaries of Belonging and Belief by Claire Mitchell and Aldershot Ashgate – Helping People Forgive, David W. Augsburger
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking