by Storyteller Donna Washington
Donna’s father is quite a trickster, and one afternoon in the 1980’s, while her large family was traveling through the south, they ran into a potentially dangerous situation. Donna’s trickster father literally saved our lives.
- Have you ever traveled to a new place and felt uncomfortable?
- Have you ever met a person who made you uncomfortable? What did they do?
- Have you ever seen another person being bullied because they are a different color or culture?
- Have you ever seen somebody use humor to get beyond an uncomfortable situation? Why do you think humor helps us through difficult situations?
- More Brer Rabbit Tales: http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/brer-rabbit/
- Picture books for the K-5 that deal with race and racism: http://humaneeducation.org/blog/2014/06/26/14-childrens-picture-books-exploring-race-racism/
- Great books for kids of all ages about segregation: http://www.the-best-childrens-books.org/civil-rights-kids.html
- African American/Black History
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Family and Childhood
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking