Listen and move as this spoken word piece takes your mind and body through an insider’s/outsider’s understanding of immigration, identity, and family. The story began when Arianna and her now husband wanted to get married and had to prove, with evidence, that their love for each other was real. Complexity arose as they entered the immigration process better known as: K-1 Non-Immigrant Visa. As they hit barrier after barrier, they quickly learned how unpredictable the U. S. was about immigration,
- Where in your life have you had to navigate the U.S. government to solve a problem?
- How does Arianna manage the immigration process in the United States? What steps does Arianna take to manage the immigration process?
- What evidence does Arianna use to show she is “in love?” What evidence do you have that would show you love someone in your family?
- http://madeintoamerica.org/ (A Collection of family stories)
- Immigration Stories by David A. martin and Peter Schuck (Non-fiction)
- Mama’s Nightingale: A story of Immigration and Separation, By Edwidge Danticat
- Crossing Cultures
- European American/Whites
- Latino American/Latinos
- Living and Traveling Abroad