Antonio explores the challenges and joys of trying to raise a bilingual child. As anxious new parents, Antonio and his wife ask, “Are two languages better than one?” and find humor along the way.
- Why did Antonio and his wife begin to doubt their choice of raising their son to be bilingual?
- What is the advantage of speaking more than one language?
- Two-way Immersion (TWI) classes or bilingual immersion classrooms are springing up in many urban/suburban communities where people new to America settle. What used to be a rare challenge for the public schools has become mandatory. Also, many English-only speakers want these programs because parents understand that their children’s world is much more global than the world in which they grew up. Would you put your child into classes that teach core subjects in a language other than English?
- An author who influenced Antonio in bilingual storytelling is Joe Hayes – http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Hayes/e/B001HCXU48
- Crossing Cultures
- Education and Life Lessons
- European American/Whites
- Family and Childhood
- Latino American/Latinos
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking