In 1965, there was a war between India and Pakistan and Bilal wanted to know “Why is there all this hate?” This is the true story of a special gift Dr. Bilal Ahmed, a Pakistani Muslim, received from his father when he was thirteen. He offered his story as a gift to storyteller, Noa Baum, to shape and retell and, now, having told it to you, she hopes you will pass it on.
- How important was the father’s gift to his 13-year old son? How many years before the son really understood the conversation?
- The child did not want to go into the dim, old-smelling room. As a metaphor, the room can stand for how difficult is it to tackle issues of social justice and bring them into the light. How important is it to talk about difficult subjects? What are the risks? What are the rewards?
- How important is it for each person to demonstrate leadership in the social action arena? What keeps us from acting?
- Education and Life Lessons
- Living and Traveling Abroad
- Muslim Americans/Muslims
- Stereotypes and Discrimination
- Taking A Stand and Peacemaking